My name is David Zeltsman, and I am honored to have been elected as your President. Beginning January 1, 2022, I will have the privilege of representing every member of the Medical Staff Society of Long Island Jewish Medical Center.
For those who are not familiar with my story, I have been in practice for over 35 years. I started as a pediatric surgeon in Moscow in 1986 and immigrated to the United States in 1990. Upon completion of my training in cardiovascular and thoracic surgery, I worked at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA. In 2005, I was very fortunate to have been recruited by the North Shore-LIJ Health System and I joined the staff at Long Island Jewish Medical Center. Being a third-generation physician, I have a deep insight into the needs of the medical community at-large and ours in particular.
In these unprecedented times, my goal as your President is to assure that every member of the medical staff has a place to turn to, we are here to help.
LIJ Medical Staff Society:
- Represents you to the hospital administration, the Northwell Health system and to the community at-large
- Has representation in the workings of the hospital by its involvement in multiple committees such as the medical board, the credentials committee, the performance improvement coordinating group and others
- Sponsors and supports clinical and educational projects for physicians education through monetary grants
- Coordinates various events throughout the year, which foster social interaction and education: Annual Black Tie Gala/Physician Socials/Annual Meeting
- Provides Medical Society of the State of New York (MSSNY) membership for all our members. MSSNY offers many services for physicians including advocacy. (Please see our website for more information)
- Hosts monthly advisory board and medical staff affairs meetings to discuss and plan various projects and activities for the year and formulate ways and means to deal with the daily challenges of our profession. In addition, these meetings are a platform to enhance communication with the hospital administration
Please visit the Medical Staff Society office located in the physicians lounge next to medical records office, 1st floor room 1095. Suggestions are sought after, encouraged and welcomed. Feel free to drop a note in our suggestion box. The Attending and Surgical lounges are private areas designated to accommodate your needs while on campus.
The medical staff society website is www.lijmedicalstaffsociety.org. In addition, you can call Jessica York, Director of the office at 718.470.8708 who is available to assist you. I am delighted to introduce my colleagues who will help me represent you. We are fully committed to address your concerns, listen to your ideas and work together to accomplish our goals.
The officers of the medical staff society are:
Dr. Kevin Hyman – President Elect
Dr. Omid Kohani – Treasurer
Dr. David Teng – Secretary
Dr. Carmen Rodriguez – Immediate Past President
I am looking forward to serving you in my new capacity and I thank you for your trust.
David Zeltsman, MD, FACS
President, Medical Staff Society, LIJMC
Chief, Division of Thoracic Surgery
Director, Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery, LIJMC
Professor, Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery
Professor, ENT Head & Neck Surgery
Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell
Email: [email protected]